Arrived in Wellington on 11 April 1932 and
shipped to Wigram for assembly.
First flight in New Zealand was from Wigram on 18 April 1932. Delivered to the Wellington Aero Club
the following day.
Entered the New Zealand Civil Aircraft Register as ZK-ACV.
Sold to Otago Aero Club in November 1933 and delivered to Taieri
on the 11th of that month.
To Queenstown and Mount Cook Airways in June 1938.
Impressed into RNZAF on 19 April 1940 as NZ570 with the
Communications Flight at Rongotai.
Converted to INST31 with TTS at Rongotai during September 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai during 1941 with most of the parts being
dumped into the sea.
Arrived in Wellington from the USA on 02 December
1933, Assembled at Rongotai and test flown by
George Bolt on the 06th of that month.
Entered the New Zealand Civil Aircraft Register as ZK-ADE. With Wellington Aero Club as a
replacement for ZK-ACV.
Used by the club for joyriding, charter and ambulance work.
Impressed into RNZAF at Unit 18 Rongotai for a cost of 1250 pounds
on 15 September 1939 as NZ574.
With the Communications Flight at Rongotai.
Sold to Tauranga Aero Club from No.42 Squadron on 11 September
1946 having flown a total of 1969 hours.
Entered the New Zealand Civil Aircraft Register as ZK-ALG
on 14 December 1946.
After flying 950 hours with the club it was sold to Northland
Districts Aero Club on 14 December 1955. Crashed into Whangarei
Harbour on 29 September 1957 after engine failure on take off
killing one of the passengers.
The aircraft was a complete write off and after the remains were
removed from the harbour they were burnt on 05 November 1957, only
the motor being salvaged.
The aircraft had flown a total of 2993 hours at the time of it's
Shipped from New York on "City of Canberra" on 15
April 1936. Assembled at Rongotai during May of that
Delivered to the Marlborough Aero Club on 10 May 1936. Entered the New Zealand Civil Aircraft
Register as ZK-AEL.
Impressed into RNZAF with Unit 18 Rongotai for a cost of 1675
pounds on 05 September 1939 as NZ575 in 1939. Allocated to the
Communications Flight based at Rongotai.
Declared surplus to RNZAF requirements on 05 February 1946 and
passed to the WARB on that date.
It had flown 990 hours with the RNZAF.
Sold to Marlborough Aero Club from Woodbourne on 10 September 1946
for 750 pounds. Entered the New Zealand Civil Aircraft
Register as ZK-ALA.
Damaged in landing accident on 26 January 1947. Sold to Blackmores Air Services in
damaged condition on 02 September 1947.
Repaired and used on tourist flights at Rotorua.
To James Aviation on 01 September 1951 when Blackmore's company
was taken over.
Badly damaged in early 1958 when it overturned while landing at
Sold to G. Gilltrap Ltd in mid 1958, for restoration and display
in a transport museum housed in one of the hangars at Rotorua
Airport where it was noted in January 1959.
The museum collection including the Waco was exported to
Coolangatta, Queensland in September 1959. Replaced in the
Brisbane museum by Moth Minor VH-ACR in late 1966.
Believed to now be in storage in Camden, NSW.
Ivan Prince (Updated by Brendan Cowan)
AHSNZ publications 1958-1990. NZ
Wings September 1974-1982. "Taking Off" by R. Waugh. NZ Flying Magazine
October 1947. "Flying the Thermal Skies" by D. Stafford. RNZAF records.
Emails: John Andrade, Martin Edwards, Brendan Cowan,
03 December 2013
is our policy to only show historical events, no
current operational information will be displayed
on this website.
"The ADF-Serials & NZDF-Serials
team give permission to use the content of this
page, excluding images, providing that it
contains an acknowledgement to the adf-serials
team and any other listed sources."